Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terrible Dunn`s Cues (repairing tips)

Hi.

Few weeks ago I got new custom made Dunn`s Cue. First suprise was that butt/splicing is full of deep cuts and maker says that you have to use sandpaper to get it even/smooth. Now I have made this sanding about 10 times but these cuts are so depth that I think sanding is not best way to repair this cue. I use 400 and 600 sandpaper.

Is there any good way to fill these cuts with some special eboxy or liquid wood etc.?

Pictures in may web album:
    http://p00kaju.kuvat.fi/kuvat/DunnsC...0Edit.jpg/full
    http://p00kaju.kuvat.fi/kuvat/DunnsC...1Edit.jpg/full
    http://p00kaju.kuvat.fi/kuvat/DunnsC...2Edit.jpg/full

Secondly these cues comes from China and you may have to pay local taxes as I have to pay.

dunns q

if you have bought this as it is you should send back and ask for refund if you have had it given you as a free sample give it away and buy 1 but not from dunns by the look of there product

Comment

Perhaps the burr has cracked?
      www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

looks like the wood was not fully dried when they made the cue.
        https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/adr147

Comment

dunns q

or its had no grain fill or oil on after sanding wouldnt that cause it

Comment

When I ask that how can I return cue maker says that it`s ok but I have to pay shipping.

Sending back cue and case which is over 59" long would cost over 100 pounds (From Finland to UK) and I already pay local custom almost 40 pounds taxes because package come outside of EU.

Cue is one piece.

Comment

Originally Posted by jim evans View Post
              or its had no grain fill or oil on after sanding wouldnt that cause it
              no i wouldn't think so - burr wood does crackle sometimes but not like that.

Comment

And I shoot pictures when I receive cue, before any own sanding operation.

Every time I sand cue I use Mike Wooldridge wood oil to finish cue.

Comment

maybe ask tw's help

Comment

Terrible Dunn´s

My first post in this forum so Hello Everybody. :snooker:

If you really want to try and fix the cue instead of sending it back, this is what i think you could do...

If the cracks are deep like they seem in the pictures, the sanding alone wont fix the problem like you where thinking. Or it will but you are gonna ruin the shape of the butt and splice pattern. So i think you have to fill the cracks first and then sand/polish it down. And what you could try is some bees wax.Or some harder waxes. Thats maybe the safest thing to try out first. (More wiser man/woman will correct me if im wrong.)
                    I have used some superglue to fill some cracks too. (But thats something that you cant do if you experiment with wax first.) Thats not a very natural way to do it but it has done the job for me. What ever you do the cracks will be visible but i think you can make the butt feel smooth. Some how :

Kiitos ja anteeksi

Comment

dunns q

i know how you feel i bought some cues from india wernt happy he said same post back and he would refund what i paid for cues not any postage return would have ended up costing me 200 pounds and no cues at the end ask him for a prtial refund to subsidise getting the repair done properly so got about 60 pound off the cues but cost me 80 pound to get sorted so no win situation problems with buying from abroad ,as for the repair you can buy some silicon type filler in a powder form mix it with grain filler and sanding sealer make a paste that might do it but your best advice would be from one of the top class cue makers on here

Comment

Originally Posted by Jami View Post
                        My first post in this forum so Hello Everybody. :snooker:

If you really want to try and fix the cue instead of sending it back, this is what i think you could do...

If the cracks are deep like they seem in the pictures, the sanding alone wont fix the problem like you where thinking. Or it will but you are gonna ruin the shape of the butt and splice pattern. So i think you have to fill the cracks first and then sand/polish it down. And what you could try is some bees wax.Or some harder waxes. Thats maybe the safest thing to try out first. (More wiser man/woman will correct me if im wrong.)
                        I have used some superglue to fill some cracks too. (But thats something that you cant do if you experiment with wax first.) Thats not a very natural way to do it but it has done the job for me. What ever you do the cracks will be visible but i think you can make the butt feel smooth. Some how :

Kiitos ja anteeksi
                        Thanks for advice. If there is any possibility can you send me Private message in Finnish.
                        Last edited by p00kaju; 10 January 2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Faulty goods , that are brand new . Send it back , ask for a new cue , not yours re-finished and tell them they have to pay the postage .

Send the pics over to them , if you haven't already .
                          Still trying to pot as many balls as i can !

Comment

The orginal status of your cue is shown here:

http://www.dunns-cues.com/snooker%20...-%20O-112.html

have you placed your cue under extreme cold environment? Or have you sanded it badly by yourself and creat those cracks?

Comment

Did you sand away the finish on your cue after you got it?
                              You need to fill/seal the cracks and then seal and finish the burr splices.
                              You should not try to do it yourself if you do not have experience dealing with such issues.
                              Last edited by poolqjunkie; 11 January 2011, 05:11 PM.
                              www.AuroraCues.com

Comment

Working...
                              X